43,390 subscribers a community for 6 years, 1 monthlast post today [+]
Do you have a question about America?
Do you want to know why we do things the way we do?
Are you curious about the real America, not the cheap product you see on TV?
Then Ask An American!
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT a question to /r/AskAnAmerican, please make sure your post follows the guideline:
- Submissions must be written in question form.
- No AMA, research, or yes/no questions.
- Do not answer your question in the text box.
- Use the text box only to clarify your question, and keep clarifications short.
- Links to other reddit posts must be No-Participation links, unless they are links to this subreddit.
- Links in the text box to sites that are not on the whitelist (check the wiki for this) will be removed.
- Submissions may not be centered on a topic already being addressed in a current or preexisting megathread.
If you feel your post should not have been removed, please message the mods. We will either clarify why the post was removed or restore it.
Any questions which do not conform to the posting guideline will be removed.
Please read the FAQ before posting. Questions that are on the FAQ are strongly discouraged and may be removed if there is no new information to be gained from the question.
Don't come here to troll or harass users. Attacking or harassing users can earn you a ban, as can posting a loaded question in an attempt to shame or mock others.
3A. No bigoted remarks. This includes, but is not limited to, hate speech/remarks targeting people based on their: * Race or ethnic group * Nationality * Religious beliefs * Sex or gender identity * Sexual orientation * Physical or mental disabilities/disorders
Do not post another user's personal information. Posting the information of a public figure is a grey area, and these situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
If you found a thread from a meta-sub, (SRD, SAS, SRS, etc) do not comment on it. You will be banned.
No low effort questions. This includes both joke questions and questions which can be easily answered by using Google, by visiting another subreddit, or by visiting the sites linked in the sidebar.
No agenda pushing with your questions and comments. This is a neutral sub.
Do not post accusatory, harrassing, trolling, or inflammatory remarks toward OPs. If you believe someone to be acting in bad faith, ask them further questions. If OP is acting in bad faith or trolling, report the post to the moderators.
We have plenty of flair options for you to choose from:
- State flags
- Territory flags
- City flags
- US Military Flags
- "Other" flags, and of course
- The Stars and Stripes
Click the edit button next to your name to select your flair.
Think your city should be on the list? Message the mods!