53,395 subscribers a community for 9 years, 7 monthslast post today [+]
We have user flair
There is user flair for every county, most regions (e.g. Bay Area), and a few general flair (e.g. Tourist, Former Californian).
Welcome to r/California!
This subreddit is for news and information of general interest to folks all across the state.
Statewide, regional, and major city reddits:
- Bay Area
- Central Valley
- Inland Empire
- Los Angeles
- Long Beach
- Northern California
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
Some other California Subreddits:
- /r/Calipornia [California pictures]
- /r/unitedstatesofamerica - California pictures
Wiki pages and multireddits:
- Find your California state representative and senator
- Find all of your local politicians (city, county, state, & national) - League of Women's Voters
- Find your local politicians - Common Cause
- Online voter registration
- Check you current voter registration status
Check out the other state reddits with the 50 state mult-link.
Please visit /r/California/new occasionally to help keep good links from being downvoted into oblivion, as well as watch for any posts that might break reddit's or this sub's posting rules. You can also check new /r/California comments.
- NO editorialized titles, memes, image macros, blogspam, self-promotion, spam, reposts, insults or incivility, trolling, bigotry, or profanity. Nothing that's rude, vulgar or offensive.
- No URL shorteners, archive links, bookmarking links, Twitter, Facebook, personal blog posts, polls, surveys, petitions, fundraising, school projects, videos, or GIFs.
- All posts must be specifically about California and be of interest to folks from across the state. If a post is of only local interest or the only connection is a person was born or lives in California or a company is based in California, it is not appropriate. This also includes local crime reports and local politics.
- All posts must be about current California news and info. (Some California history is also cool.)
- California is HUGE. If your title doesn't include it, add the location in brackets like this [Santa Ana, CA].
- For regional questions, try /r/AskLosAngeles, /r/AskSF, or /r/AskSanDiego or other local subs instead.
- For questions, please be as detailed and specific as possible to make it easier to answer your question.
- Especially if you have a DMV, vacation, travel, working here, or moving here question, please search the sub's archives because it's likely your question has been answered multiple times in the past.
- Please don't say Frisco, San Fran, The OC, Diego, or Cali. Most Californians don't use those nicknames.
- All image posts must be by the original creator or have a link crediting the original creator.
- No ALL CAPS words or text, no bold text, and no #Headline text formatting! This is like SHOUTING and is considered rude. No ALL CAPS TITLES, even if the original headline was in all capital letters. No emoji. 😟
- No political news unless it is specifically about California.
- No missing persons, lost pets, or stolen car posts.
- Do not put "x-post", "xpost", or "crosspost" in your title.
- No slideshows or multi-page articles.
- No posts using the redd.it shortlink. If you link to a thread outside /r/California you must use the np subdomain for no-participation mode.
- If you ask a question, you must reply to at least one comment within 24 hrs or your post will be deleted.
- All posts must be in English.
- Op-Eds (opinion pieces and editorials) must be labeled [Op-Ed], [Editorial], or [Opinion]. Political columns should be labeled [Political Column].
- Additional posts on the same topic with no new info will be deleted.
- Please use descriptive titles. Posts with vague titles will be deleted.
- Don't modify article titles except to add a location in brackets unless the title is excessively vague or clickbait-ish.
- Questions that can be easily answered from the Wikipedia or by a quick Google search will be deleted.
The California flag photo in the sidebar was taken by Håkan Dahlström (CC by 2.0).