15,825 subscribers a community for 9 years, 1 monthlast post today [+]
1 on 1 Help
If you are looking for specific help on a specific region, this post has a list of people willing to help with searches and lookups regarding certain areas.
- Don't post living peoples' personal info. Of course, the exception is published information that the person has chosen to put into the public domain.
- Treat people with respect. No abuse, threats, harassment, hate slurs etc.
- Posting your own site or work is OK in moderation, but please contribute to the community too. Fire & forget isn't polite, and will be considered spam.
- No affiliate links or URL shorteners. Everyone needs to see links without obfuscation.
- Moderators may, at their discretion, remove posts that they consider harmful to the community.
- Please do respond to those who offer their time to help you, even if just to say thanks.
- Please use the downvote button sparingly to signify that a post or a comment is spam or contains incorrect information, not just because you disagree with it. We don't want to discourage people from participating.
How to Request Research Help
This advice will get you the best response from your research requests.
- Do your own research first.
- Include as much known information as you can. Don't make people waste their time by duplicating work.
- Include any rumors or theories.
- Be clear & specific about what info you want help finding. It's perfectly OK to ask for any info if you're looking for fresh leads, but you can help people to focus their efforts & look at the correct sources if you are more specific.
- Say thanks. It's a small gesture but seriously, respect peoples' time & effort in helping you out.