64,935 subscribers a community for 2 years, 2 monthslast post today [+]
If you have a MIL that is lovely and not any of the things we talk about here, that's great. Let us rant away at the crazy shit they do. If it's your mom that's the issue, you can rant about that too.
WORDS OF WISDOM
> It's easier to dump a mama's boy than to divorce a mama's boy, and both of those are easier than trying to change a mama's boy. ~/u/pastelegg
> Abusers are the angler fish of humanity - they dangle a bright glowing ball of love in front of you so you don't see the teeth in the dark. ~/u/silentgreen85
> Next time they say, "That's just how she is," reply, "And this is how I am. Are you putting in as much effort trying to change who she is as you are trying to change who I am?" ~/u/Gamez2Go
> Shit's cray, not gonna get less cray. ~/u/dietotaku
1. Mother-in-law and Mom related posts only.|Other people can absolutely be involved but they cannot be given their own thread. If it is not your MIL or mom, a SonIL/DIL must be present or otherwise clearly evident - no "potential" JNMILs. No fictional MILs. JustNOHusbands (and wives) can now go in /r/JustNoSO! For everyone else, try /r/justnofamily. Letters and non-MIL updates now belong in /r/LetterstoJNMIL.
2. Nicknames & Casts|Nicknames are reserved for MILs and established MIL/FIL pairs only. All others must use the acronym dictionary below. Acronym-based cast lists are OK but unnecessary - just give us the story. MIL nickname guidelines
3. No blog spamming.|Honestly, nobody fucking cares.
4. Shaming is not okay.|If you disagree be civil and respectful. Remember the human and remember that many posters here are dealing with disordered personalities and disordered upbringings.
5. No trolling or "MILpologizing."|Don't be deliberately antagonistic, and don't defend, excuse, or otherwise sympathize with the MILs here. Playing devil's advocate in a support sub rarely turns out well for anyone and nobody posts here if they're dealing with normal, harmless MILs. Trying to convince OP that MIL was "just trying to be nice" amounts to gaslighting and won't be tolerated.
6. No backseat modding.|Our rules are here in order to foster reasonable discussion, support, and advice. Using our rules as ammunition against another poster does not further these goals. If you see someone breaking a rule, report it and move on.
7. No exit posts.|If you feel you need to go, do it quietly. Exit posts are cries for attention and there are other subs to feed your need. Addendum: No updates to removed posts. If you can't follow the rules, don't post. 8. No Facebook links|Please rehost images for your safety and privacy. Imgur doesn't require an account and works well even on phones and tablets. Also remember to scrub any identifying info such as names, profile pics, hashtags, etc.
9. No links to relationships|Don't link the sub name, don't link to threads in the sub, don't link to archived copies of threads in the sub. Don't post cryptically about the thread in here. If you see a thread that would work well here, PM the OP. 9a. No links to other subreddit threads|Don't use Reddit as a source of content - posts that are simply a link to a thread elsewhere on Reddit will be removed as they present a risk of brigading (yes, even with np links).
10. Wild MILs must be IRL|"MIL in the Wild" posts have been restricted to real-life encounters. This includes social media like Facebook but not sites like FML, Tales from Retail, advice columns or apps like Whisper.
Devil Vagina Magic|Super magical vagina that lures good, decent men away from their now suffering mothers. Suspected but unconfirmed vagina dentata like attributes. Wielded by vagicians. Not to be confused with the vaginal bond.
(M/F/B/S/D)IL|Mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law (or son-in-law, use context), daughter-in-law
S/F/X(acronym)|Step, future, ex. e.g. XMIL = ex-mother-in-law. SFXMIL = mother-in-law generated by CGI or practical special effects
D(H/W/S/D)|Damn Husband, Wife, Son, Daughter. While in most places it stands for dear, there usually isn't a lot of behavior deserving a sweet term of endearment in this sub.
SO/OH|Significant Other, Other Half
LO|Little One. Just type out baby. It is two letters more.
(O/M/Y)D/S|Older/Middle/Younger Daughter/Son, for when you've got multiple kids with the same parts.
BEC|Bitch Eating Crackers. Someone so irritating that even normal things, such as eating crackers, annoys the shit out of you.
LC/VLC/NC|Low-Contact/Very Low-Contact/No Contact, respectively. Used to describe the degree to which one has cut a certain family member out of their lives.
GC/SG|Golden Child, Scapegoat
Jocasta complex|Opposite of Oedipal complex, named for Oedipus' mother. Often used to describe a MIL's emotionally incestuous treatment of her son. FM|Flying Monkey, any person sent by MIL to gather/deliver information
FOO|Family of Origin, the people you're related to by blood
CBF|Cat-Butt Face, a look of sour disapproval/pissiness mastered by old ladies in which their lips are pursed to resemble a cat's asshole
JADE|Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain - don't bother, it just gives MILs more fuel