231,162 subscribers a community for 10 years, 5 monthslast post today [+]
Freedom of the individual.
/r/Libertarian is for both philosophical and political libertarians of all kinds including, but not limited to the various "types" listed below, and is not associated with the Libertarian Party. This is a community to discuss free markets and free societies with free minds. As such, we truly believe in spontaneous order and don't formally regulate content (as encouraged by reddiquette). A few general guidelines:
- Please don't downvote comments, especially if its merely on the basis of disagreement or distaste for a certain viewpoint. No one should be shut out of a conversation because you disagree with them. Viewpoint diversity is extremely important in sustaining a robust and meaningful discourse on the issues important to all of us. Even if you find someone's views repugnant or their arguments stupid, assume they are putting them forward in good faith unless you have strong evidence to the contrary.
- Participate and submit content. Please take some time to submit things that foster discussion on libertarian topics. This is not meant to discourage image macros, which are nothing more than glorified self posts, and are allowed in /r/libertarian. If you're posting something NSFW, use the damn tag.
- Don't like someone's post or comment because of the ideological content? Or because they are putting forth "trolling" arguments? Or because it "doesn't represent true libertarian beliefs"? Or because it's "the type of low-effort post this sub is being ruined by"? DON'T REPORT IT OR MESSAGE US ABOUT IT ... since we aren't going to tag it, remove it, or ban anyone. To make an impact on what kinds of posts are most visible here, go to the 'new' queue and vote on the submissions there.
- The 'REPORT' feature is reserved for true, purposefully off-topic spam content like shock images, porn, gore, misleading links, and automated mass-marketing posts — or for violations of Reddit's site-wide rules. Using this feature frivolously only makes it harder for the moderation team to discern and remove true spam posts in a timely manner. If a user is making posts like those listed above, submit a report and complete the report by enabling the option to block the user so you won't see any more of their activity. Trolls only find any pleasure in posting this stuff because of attention it brings them. Don't give them any. When you see posts like these, follow these four simple steps: downvote → resist the urge to comment → report & block the user → move on.
Types of Libertarianism & Related Schools of Thought:
Topics - Blockchain & Tech:
Topics - Drug Policy Reform:
Topics - Educational Freedom:
Topics - Gun Rights:
Topics - Individual Freedom & Civil Liberties:
Topics - State Power & Corruption:
Libertarian Specialty Subs:
Libertarian Figures & Politicians:
- /r/R3VOLUTION (2018 Candidates)
Libertarians Around the World:
- Foundation for Economic Education (FEE)
- Reason Magazine
- Cato Institute
- Learn Liberty
- Library of Economics and Liberty
- Future of Freedom Foundation
- Bleeding Heart Libertarians
- Campaign for Liberty
- Mises Institute
- The Tom Woods Show
- Part of the Problem, with Dave Smith
- Your Welcome, with Michael Malice
- Truth in Media, with Ben Swann
- School Sucks Project
- Free State Project
- ##Austrians IRC Channel (irc.freenode.net)