26,671 subscribers a community for 5 years, 3 monthslast post today [+]
For those who broke free from the traffic gridlock and let their legs carry them.
Ask questions, share stories, give advice, and let others know how fun bicycle commuting can be!
- Be kind. We're all trying to get somewhere, man.
- Be informative, but don't hate people for correcting you. That's how you learn.
- Please, don't use memes here, except as a reply within a thread.
- Do not advocate violence—yes, we know, people suck, but hitting them with u-locks won't fix it.
- We're supposed to be an open, welcoming sub, and treating others like crap goes completely against that.
- Don't argue. There's a difference between disagreement and argument, however.
- If you post a link to something, if at all possible, post the main take away from the link (for example, a particularly striking statistic). This will make it easier for everyone to follow the conversation, especially on mobile devices.
- If linking to your blog you must have either contributed to the subreddit in a significant way (through comments and other submissions) or submit as a self post with commentary that will spark discussion.
- No Kickstarter links. Links to an article or discussion about the Kickstarter is fine.
- Ten tips for successful cycling
- Safety on the road
- What cyclists need to know about large trucks (animated graphic)
- Guide to Urban Cycling (Thanks to /u/influentza)
- Bike Laws by U.S. State
- What to do if you're hit by a car? (Simplified version) (Advanced version)
- How to submit an effective police report
- Close Call Database – For logging dangerous or harassing drivers.
Equipment and Gear for Beginners:
- Review: The Best Racks, Baskets & Panniers
- Good Entry-Level Bikes: Trek 7.2FX ($450-500), Giant Escape 3 ($360), Momentum Street ($410), Raleigh Cadent ($360). In-Depth Comparative Review of hybrid bikes here.
- Bike Light Database with reviews and other info
- Bike-Commuting Cost-Savings Calculator
- /r/cycling – Text-only discussion
- /r/whichbike – Find the perfect bike for you with help from the Reddit cycling community!
- /r/BicycleGear wiki – Recommendations for equipment & accessories
- /r/BikeCammers – Share videos of your riding here (h/t /u/TheReelStig).
- /r/wintercycling – Winter Is Coming
- Official Strava Group