23,095 subscribers a community for 8 years, 5 monthslast post today [+]
Welcome to /r/conlangs! This subreddit is focused on the discussion of constructed languages (conlangs), tools and activities to aid you in the construction of your own conlang, and creating a community environment where we can all enjoy conlanging together.
While this subreddit is not restricted to accomplished conlangers, a certain level of expertise is expected. We recommend that you lurk for a while to learn the basics.
- IPA Chart
- IPA Chart Keyboard
- IPA Traditional Keyboard
- [The Language Construction Kit] (http://goo.gl/2ef0)
- Zompist Word Gen
- International Phonetic Alphabet Wiki
- Glossing Rules
- Index Diachronica
- Index Diachronica (pdf)
- Conlanger's Thesaurus
- List of conlangs of /r/conlangs (Legacy version)
- A Survey on Vowel Systems
- Glossifier (Formatting Tool)
- PolyGlot (Language Construction Tool)
- Language Grammars
- More Resources
1. Civility We ask for this subreddit to remain a place of discussion and polite debate about conlangs. Do not use insults, especially those of a personal nature.
2. Topic and relevancy We ask that all posts be on topic and relevant to conlanging. Meta threads are of course an exception.
3. Low effort We ask for a modicum of effort in front page posts. Please spend an additional minute or so formatting your post and making sure someone will actually want to look at it.
4. Adult and shocking content Adult or shocking content has to be signaled by a special flair. Porn and gore are still forbidden on the subreddit, but we understand the need to form vocabulary for those topics.
5. No Cross, No Crown Posts about religion or politics are only allowed if they focus on the conlanging aspect and coining words for concepts. This subreddit is not a place for political or religious debate.
6. Flairing All posts should be flaired appropriately. Often this will be handled by Automoderator, but the bot is not perfect and may at times flair incorrectly or miss a post altogether.
7. Post-Specific Rules We have additional demands for certain types of posts. This is in order to promote discussion and constructive feedback about those posts. If you cannot fulfill these, please post to the Small Discussions Thread (always stickied on the frontpage) instead:
Script posts require more than just a picture of the script. Please provide a sentence in it, its translation, explanations, and background information for the script.
Translations must be accompanied by at least a translation and explanation of interesting features. Optional, but very much suggested, are a pronunciation guide using IPA and a gloss following the Leipzig Glossing Rules.
Memes and joke-posts will be removed at moderator discretion.
While not required, we would like to suggest that the poster of translation challenges post a translation of their own as well.
Audio posts require a transcription, a translation and a gloss. Optional, but appreciated, are a romanisation (if your script is different from the latin one) and phonemic + phonetic transcriptions.
8. Discouraged Posts The following types of post should be posted to the bi-weekly Small Discussions Thread (always stickied on the frontpage) rather than as their own posts:
Close-ended questions that cannot promote discussion (e.g. “What do you think about this feature?”, “What is grammatical case?”)
Requests for resources (e.g. “Does anyone have a grammar of Classical Mongolian?”, “Where can I learn more about Syntax?”)
Phoneme inventories. Full phonology posts with examples, explanations, &c. are fine, however.
Orthography posts, including natlang re-orthography posts and questions regarding feedback of an orthography. Exceptions may be made for exceptionally detailed posts—please ask a moderator before posting.
Posts looking for collaborators or discussing ongoing collabs. For the latter, we suggest finding a different place (perhaps your own subreddit or some form of chatroom). Posts showing the results of a collaboration are of course allowed.
Posts of a repetitive nature will be removed at the moderators' discretion. This includes, but is not limited to:
- posts about the same conlang or topic
posts bearing a similar format and/or belonging to a trend. For those, feel free to create a Megathread or reply to the original post with your own creation.
If you're unsure whether it should be a main post or in Small Discussions Thread, post it in Small Discussions Thread instead.
9. On advertising Do not promote your own products except in dedicated threads, or when specifically prompted by a user. You're free to promote your word generator when it's relevant, not when it isn't.
- We ask of you to be an active contributor to the subreddit for you to advertise your tool on it. E.g. you should help out in the SD thread, run some activities or make other submissions to the frontpage. Advertisments by first-time posters to this subreddit especially are considered a violation of this rule.
- Posts promoting certain tools are restricted to once per six months, unless significant changes have been made to the tool that warrant an immediate announcement. In this case, please first contact the moderation team before making a post. If your tool is in no way monetized, you can request to be made exempt of this rule via modmail.
- For any tool containing any sort of paid option to be advertised on the subreddit, you will have to first contact us.
- You may always advertize a new release of your tool as a top level comment in the SD thread, as long as it’s not spam. You do not need to contact us to do so.
- This rule will be more strictly enforced than our other rules and violations will be punished more harshly.
If you feel your content has been wrongfully removed, you may message the moderators to appeal the decision.
> > #Vowels > >|||||| |-----|-----|-----|---|-----| | i y | | ɨ ʉ | | ɯ u | | | ɪ ʏ | ɪ̈ ʊ̈ | ʊ | | | e ø | | ɘ ɵ | | ɤ o | | e̞ ø̞ | | ə | | ɤ̞ o̞ | | ɛ œ | | ɜ ɞ | | ʌ ɔ | | æ | | ɐ | | | | a| | ä | | ɑ ɒ | > > #Pulmonic Consonants > > ||||||| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-------|-----|-----| | m̥ m | ɱ | | n̥ n | | p b | p̪ b̪ | t̪ d̪ | t d | | ʈ ɖ | | | | | s z | ʃ ʒ | - | ɸ β | f v | θ ð | θ̱ ð̠ | ɹ̠̊˔ ɹ̠˔ | | | ʋ | | ɹ | | ɻ | | ⱱ̟ | ⱱ | | ɾ̥ ɾ | | ʙ | | | r̥ r | | ɽ͡r | | | | | ɬ ɮ | | ꞎ | | | | | l̥ l | | ɭ | | | | | ɺ |
| | ɲ̊ ɲ | ŋ̊ ŋ | ɴ | | | | | c ɟ | k ɡ | q ɢ | | ʡ | ʔ | | ʂ ʐ | ɕ ʑ | | | | | | | | | ç ʝ | x ɣ | χ ʁ | ħ ʕ | ʜ ʢ | h ɦ | | | j̊ j | ɰ | | | | | | ɽ | | | | ɢ̆ | | ʡ̯ | | | | | ʀ̥ ʀ | | ᴙ | | | ʎ̝̊ | ʟ̝̊ ʟ̝ | | | | | | ʎ | ʟ | | | | | | ɺ̢ | | ʎ̯ | ʟ̆ | | | | | > > #Non-pulmonic Consonants
> ##Clicks > >|||||| |---|----|----|-----|---| | ʘ | ǀ | ǃ | ǂ | ǁ | | ʘ̃ | ʘ̃ˀ | ʘ͡q | ʘ͡qʼ | ‼ | > > ##Implosives > >|||||||||| |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---| | ɓ̥ | ɓ | ɗ̥ | ɗ | ᶑ | ʄ̊ | ʄ | ɠ | ʛ | > > ##Ejectives > > |||||||||| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|----|-----|-----| | pʼ | t̪ʼ | tʼ | ʈʼ | cʼ | kʼ | qʼ | fʼ | θʼ | | sʼ | ɬʼ | ʃʼ | ʂʼ | ɕʼ | xʼ | χʼ | tsʼ | tɬʼ | | cʎ̝̥ʼ | tʃʼ | ʈʂʼ | kxʼ | kʟ̝̊ʼ | qχʼ | | | | > > ##Affricates > >|||||| |------- |-------|------- |-------|-------| | p̪f b̪v | ts dz | t̪s̪ d̪z̪ | tθ dð | tʃ dʒ | | tɕ dʑ | ʈʂ ɖʐ | tɬ dɮ | cç ɟʝ | cʎ̝̥ | | kx | kʟ̝̊ ɡʟ̝ | | | | > > ##Additional > > ||||||| |-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-| t͡s|d͡z|t͡ʃ|d͡ʒ|t͡ɕ|ɡ͡ɣ| d͡ʑ|t͡ɬ|k͡p|ɡ͡b|ŋ͡m| > > #Co-articulated consonants
> ##Continuants > >|||| |-|-|-| | ʍ w | ɥ | ɧ | > > ##Occlusives > >||| |-|-| |k͡p ɡ͡b|ŋ͡m| > > > #Diacritics > >|| |-----------------------------------| |◌̩ ◌̯ ʰ ʱ ⁿ ◌̚ ˡ ◌̥ ◌̤ ◌̬ ◌̰ ◌̪ ◌̺ ◌̟ ◌̈ ◌̝ ˔ ◌̞ ˕| |◌̼ ◌̻ ◌̠ ◌̽ ◌̹ ◌̜ ʷ ʲ ˠ ˤ ᶣ ◌̴ ◌̘ ◌̙ ◌̃ ◌˞| |ː ˈ ˌ| > > #Tone
˥ ˦ ˧ ˨ ˩ (Combine when next to eachother)
The following will hide certain types of posts: