226,946 subscribers a community for 8 years, 6 monthslast post today [+]
A supportive space for anyone struggling with depression.
FYI, it's usually more helpful to post anything that specifically involves suicidal thoughts or intent in /r/SuicideWatch.
Please review and follow our rules.
Text Posts only.
- Articles (including personal blogs) and media must be linked in a text submission and accompanied by a full account of your personal experience with them and how they affected your depression.
- If your resource is of primarily scientific or socio-political interest, please post it elsewhere, e.g. /r/psychology, /r/science, /r/mentalhealth.
- This also means no fundraising or activism, please.
- Any surveys or research related posts must be pre-approved by the mod team. Approved research posts will have a tag that only moderators can apply.
- Do not debate or sensationalise current events or hot-button topics because they happen to have a "depression angle".
Do not post or respond with:
- "Tough love" of any description.
- General uplifting or "it gets better" messages. Encouragement is not helpful unless it integrates real, personal understanding of the OP's feelings and situation.
- Anything explicit or inciting related to suicide or self harm.
- Claims about the efficacy of any treatment or self-help strategy including religion.
Please don't diagnose others or advocate for or against specific treatments or self-help strategies.
- It's fine to describe how something worked (or didn't) for you, but it's absolutely not okay to prescribe for anybody else.
- Our focus is on support rather than "fixes". If you are looking for a more solution-oriented community, check out /r/getting_over_it/ or /r/GetMotivated.
Don't say that you're here to help, show it by responding supportively to our OPs.
- Empathy, support, and feedback are usually more helpful than advice.
- Don't advertise yourself as a helper, authority or role model. This includes inviting PMs as a first resort.
- If you struggle with knowing how best to empathize and connect with others, this brief video from Brené Brown and the RSA may help.
- You don't need special knowledge or expertise to help, you just need to be non-judgmental and interested in understanding the other person's experience.
If you see a post, comment, or PM that violates any rules please message us. We try our best to keep an eye out for trouble, but we don't have the resources to review all the content in the sub in real time.
If your post or comment is not appearing, it may have been removed for a rule violation or it may simply be stuck in the spam filter. Please message us and we'll let you know what's going on and fix anything that's been removed in error.
We are not a crisis service. We can't guarantee an immediate response, and there are times when this subreddit is relatively quiet. This does not mean no one cares. If you need to talk to someone at once, you may want to take a look at our Hotline Numbers
You might also be interested in: