What r/exjw is:
- A place for support, comfort and mutual encouragement.
- A place to discuss current events pertaining to the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- A place for objectivity, questions and answers.
- A place for fresh, original content.
- A place where we all follow reddiquette.
Please keep these guidelines in mind as you submit and comment. Together, we can keep this place informative and consistent in its high quality.
Want to be an exjw? Get out gracefully.
- Shit My JW Says - Your place for JW memeposts and other quick consumables.
- JW Problems - A JW parody subreddit in the spirit of FirstWorldProblems.
- MyBookofBS - Rebooting the classic JW children's book one goofy story at a time.
- WTAdvice - Answers from the Faithful and Discreet Slave to True Christians®.
- Atheist Havens - A subreddit for anyone ostracized for their beliefs with nowhere to go to.
- Ex-Mormon - A recovery subreddit for our brothers on the Mormon side of things.
Sample These Submissions:
- Where are other r/exjw members?
- I'm sorry I knocked on your door
- We're all on the same boat here on r/exjw...
- Carbon Dating vs The Witnesses
- Why we know the Tower of Babel story never happened.
- What I like best about being an ex-JW
Check out these websites:
- Jehovah's Witness Recovery
- The BITE cult model
- Eight Criteria for Thought Reform
- Bible Contradictions Explained
Surfing the YouTubes:
- Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz
- A History of God by Karen Armstrong
- The Greatest Show On Earth by Richard Dawkins
I am offended!
Try to keep an open mind and an open heart: Some people may have left the WBTS for reasons you don't respect and, conversely, some are leaving a very sheltered environment and may not be aware that their language or attitude is offensive. If you are offended, please try to kindly explain your grievance in a response comment.
If that doesn't work, message the moderators. Ex-JWs come from, and go to, many different walks of life, so we must attempt to exercise tolerance, compassion, and understanding while we hope to inhabit the same space.
Birthday Affirmation Program
We're collecting names for our community to send birthday gifts to each other. If you'd like to be added to the list, please PM the mods (new message to "#exjw") with your name, birthday, and address. If you feel uncomfortable giving your name, feel free to give us just a first name or a first name and last initial.
I would also ask those who are participating to be sure to send these gifts in discrete packaging and without any blatant "apostate" material, for those who are still living in a situation where we could possibly prematurely out them to the wrong people.
We're also welcoming people who are willing to volunteer as a "secure sender" for those who are not yet out and/or are uncomfortable with sharing their mailing address. We would give the gift giver YOUR address instead and it would be your responsibility to forward the gift to the proper address. It's mail by proxy: Fair anonymity. The gift-sender should also be considerate and write the username of the final destination to not confuse the secure sender and the mods.
We do not recommend, however, that people who have not yet escaped participate if there's any risk of damaging your family relations and whatnot.