55,407 subscribers a community for 9 years, 2 monthslast post 57 days ago [+]
Welcome to /r/flying.
- Read the FAQ before posting. Certain questions, such as "how do I become a pilot" and the like have been asked repeatedly in the past.
- Refrain from posting anything that does not pertain to pilots, students, instructors or other aviation professionals.
- Post something that you would like to discuss! If posting a photo, video or link, you must include a relevant comment to start conversation. For example, a story from your checkride. Blogspam isn't welcome here.
- PLEASE no memes. /r/flying is a meme-free zone.
- Cite sources when appropriate.
- Posts about the non-aviating aspects of airlines (planespotting, passenger experience, frequent flyer programs) do not belong here.
- Be nice to each other. /r/flying is intended to be a friendly and accepting place; check your ego at the door and take your snark and attitude elsewhere.
- We strive to keep /r/flying as commercial-free as possible. If you are about to post something that involves the exchange of goods or services for money, run it by the mods first. This includes requests for donations.
- The moderators have the final say in disputes.
Info and FAQs
Please read our FAQs! You will find many answers to questions you may have, such as how to become a pilot.
Check out the discord channel!
Pilot Certificate Badges
- SIM - Simulators only, or pre-student interest
- ST - Student
- SPT - Sport Pilot
- UPL - Ultralight Pilot (EASA)
- RPL - Recreational Pilot
- LAPL - Light Aircraft Pilot (EASA)
- PPL - Private Pilot
- CPL - Commercial Pilot
- ATP - Airline Transport Pilot
- CFI - FAA Certified Flight Instructor
- FI - Flight Instructor (non-FAA Country)
- MIL - AF,N,A - Military pilot, AF, N, A, etc.
Ground Certificate Badges
- A&P - Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
- ATC - Air Traffic Control
- DIS - Dispatcher (Part 121)
- FSS - Flight Services
- GND - Ground Instructor
- FAA - FAA Employee
- AB - Aerobatics
- ABI - Aerobatics Instructor
- CFII - FAA Certified Flight Instructor Instrument
- FII - Flight Instructor Instrument (non-FAA Country)
- CMP - Complex
- HA - High Altitude
- HP - High Performance
- IR - Instrument Rating
- ME - Multi-Engine
- MEI - Multi-Engine Instructor
- TW - Tail-wheel
- GLI - Glider
- LTA - Lighter than Air
- MEL - Multi-Engine Land
- MES - Multi-Engine Sea
- ROT - Rotary
- SEL - Single-Engine Land
- SES - Single-Engine Sea
- UAS - Unmanned Aerial System
- ULM - Ultralight (motored)
- irc.freenode.org #pilots