29,534 subscribers a community for 8 years, 11 monthslast post 196 days ago [+]
Discussion of places, spaces, maps and processes that shape the world.
For memes and jokes, see r/GeoMemes.
Recent Comments - What are we talking about?
Discussions of all branches and scales of geography are highly encouraged! If you have a question, no matter how basic or complex, ask away.
Links to original sources are preferred.
Please do not re-host images or maps at imgur or similar sites. Re-hosting prevents the author(s) from getting the recognition they deserve. It also prevents us, the reader, from seeing the context and background information the image was published in.
Original work is welcome. If you've made a map, or written an article or blog post etc, please share.
If you have an undergraduate level or higher degree of education in geography or a related field, message a moderator to get a custom flair that specifies your specific area of expertise. Otherwise, feel free to add one of our existing flair options for your interest in a specific subfield of geography.
- /r/geospatial geography + technology
- /r/GIS geographic information science and systems
- /r/urbanplanning urban geography
- /r/UrbanStudies an academic approach to cities
- /r/socialscience some human geo and related maps here
- /r/geopolitics all the world is a stage
- r/transit/ move between places
- /r/environmental_science study the planet
- /r/EarthScience study the planet some more
- /r/climate it's all around you
- /r/placelearning place, as it relates to mind, body, and culture
- /r/NationalGeographic the big papa of geo
- /r/interculture internationalism, multiculturalism, globalization
- /r/geographie geography, en française
Maps and Cartography
- /r/Maps the language of geography
- /r/Map_Porn early successor to r/MapPorn
- /r/MapPorn maps: big and small, good and bad. Ejected from the SWF network, but still a significant source of maps and discussion
- /r/oldmap the carto-arts of antiquity
- /r/mapmaking a lot like r/cartography, if r/cartography were real
- /r/papertowns not map traps, but great maps on paper
- /r/GoogleMaps browse the world with Big G
- /r/OpenStreetMap Geo for everyone
- /r/CanadianGeography the Great White North
- /r/TOmaps maps of Toronto
yes, only toronto
- /r/mapsofamerica USA maps and environs