16,861 subscribers a community for 6 years, 5 monthslast post today [+]
Message the mods if you have suggestions.
- Read this before Posting!
- Help on how to post code
- Regarding String comparison, read this!
- New: Learn to help yourself
Please head over to /r/learnjava and read the sidebar there.
The best free Java tutorials are:
- MOOC Object Oriented Programming with Java from the University of Helsinki
- Java for Complete Beginners by John Purcell
Use the MOOC as main course and Java for Complete Beginners as secondary resource.
Posting rules in short
Rule number one: DO NOT DELETE your posts once they are solved! Use the "Solved" flair instead. This allows others to learn, too, and makes the helpers' efforts more effective.
No illegal/pirated content! Anybody posting links to or suggesting to search for illegal/pirated content will be banned without further warning!
Use the search function to find similar problems before posting.
No "Do my homework" posts! Do not ask for complete solutions. Tell us: What have you tried?
No offers/requests to/for help via PM, Discord, Skype, etc. Post your questions here so that other people can learn as well.
No promises of rewards of any kind!
Do not reply with complete solutions, rather comment explanations and guides. Comments with solutions will be removed and commenters will automatically be banned for a week.
Post titles must be descriptive.
- Bad title: I'm new to Java and need help.
- Good title: How can I sort values without loops?
Describe the problem and what you want to achieve.
Include the full ERROR MESSAGE or exception.
- No screenshots of code!
- Do not submit executable jar or compressed (zip, rar, 7z, etc.) files!
- For small bits of code (less than 50 lines in total, single classes only), the default code formatter is fine (one blank line, then 4 spaces before each line).
- Redditlint is a quick and simple code formatter for reddit code. Copy your code into Redditlint, click
Format + Copy, and paste the code in your post (remember to leave an empty line above the code!).
- Pastebin for programs that consist of a single class only
- Gist for multi-class programs, or programs that require additional files
- Github or Bitbucket repositories are also perfectly fine as are other dedicated source code hosting sites.
- Ideone for executable code snippets that use only the console
- Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire, etc. are not suitable for code posting!
- Check out the wiki for frequently asked questions. Please feel free to contribute!