18,218 subscribers a community for 7 years, 1 monthlast post 1 day ago [+]
Resources for learning Java
- Do not compare
- Use only JDK 8 for the MOOC Object Oriented Programming with Java don't use JDK 9!
- No links to your stackoverflow questions - we are not a second opinion to stackoverflow, nor are you going to get answers here when you didn't get satisfying ones there.
- No Rewards: You may not ask for or offer payment when giving or receiving help.
- Help on how to post code
- Do not delete your posts! Deleting is selfish and will deprive others of existing solutions. There might be other people with similar problems who could profit from the discussion in the thread.
- Do not reply with complete solutions, rather comment explanations and guides. Comments with solutions will be removed and commenters will automatically be banned for a week.
- No PM help requests. Either ask your questions here and show your code, or you're out of luck. PM help requests will be removed without warning.
- No piracy! We do neither tolerate requests for pirated material, nor do we allow advocating pirated material (even mentioning that you could download commercial products for free is forbidden) - such content will be removed without warning and the poster will automatically be permanently banned from the subreddit.
- Code posting
- No screenshots of code!
- Do not submit executable jar or compressed (zip, rar, 7z, etc.) files!
- For small bits of code (less than 50 lines in total, single classes only), the default code formatter is fine (one blank line, then 4 spaces before each line).
- Redditlint is a quick and simple code formatter for reddit code. Copy your code into Redditlint, click
Format + Copy, and paste the code in your post (remember to leave an empty line above the code!).
- Pastebin for programs that consist of a single class only
- Gist for multi-class programs, or programs that require additional files
- Github or Bitbucket repositories are also perfectly fine as are other dedicated source code hosting sites.
- Codiva.io or Ideone for executable code snippets that use only the console
- Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire, etc. are not suitable for code posting!
- Java Development Kit (JDK)
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
- IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition
- NetBeans IDE for Java Developers
- jEdit (programmer's text editor)
- New to Java?
- Java API Specifications
- Java SE Technical Documentation
- Java Developer Tutorials and Training
- Code Samples & Apps
- Oracle Discussion Forums: Java
- Training & Tutorials: Downloadable Files
- Java on Twitter
- Have a question? Search here!
- Java Book
- Introduction to Programming Using Java
- Freewarejava Tutorials
- Thinking in Java, 3rd Edition (eBook)
- Java Beginner Tutorial
- Explanation to the is Java "pass by value" or "pass by reference" question
- MOOC Object Oriented Programming with Java from the University of Helsinki
- Java for Complete Beginners
- accompanying site CaveOfProgramming
- Derek Banas' Java Playlist
- accompanying site NewThinkTank
>Programming ideas & Challenges
- Programming Challenges List from the /r/learnprogramming wiki
- /r/Java - general discussion
- /r/JavaHelp - help with Java programming
- /r/javaexamples - short tutorials with code snippets
- /r/learnprogramming - general programming help