14,887 subscribers a community for 6 years, 4 monthslast post 1 day ago [+]
Resources for learning Java
- No links to your stackoverflow questions - we are not a second opinion to stackoverflow, nor are you going to get answers here when you didn't get satisfying ones there.
- No promises of rewards of any kind!
- Help on how to post code
- Do not reply with complete solutions, rather comment explanations and guides. Comments with solutions will be removed and commenters will automatically be banned for a week.
- No PM help requests. Either ask your questions here and show your code, or you're out of luck. PM help requests will be removed without warning.
- Code posting
- No screenshots of code!
- Do not submit executable jar or compressed (zip, rar, 7z, etc.) files!
- For small bits of code (less than 50 lines in total, single classes only), the default code formatter is fine (one blank line, then 4 spaces before each line).
- Redditlint is a quick and simple code formatter for reddit code. Copy your code into Redditlint, click
Format + Copy, and paste the code in your post (remember to leave an empty line above the code!).
- Pastebin for programs that consist of a single class only
- Gist for multi-class programs, or programs that require additional files
- Github or Bitbucket repositories are also perfectly fine as are other dedicated source code hosting sites.
- Ideone for executable code snippets that use only the console
- Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire, etc. are not suitable for code posting!
- Java Development Kit (JDK)
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
- IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition
- NetBeans IDE for Java Developers
- jEdit (programmer's text editor)
- New to Java?
- Java API Specifications
- Java SE Technical Documentation
- Java Developer Tutorials and Training
- Code Samples & Apps
- Oracle Discussion Forums: Java
- Training & Tutorials: Downloadable Files
- Java on Twitter
- Have a question? Search here!
- Java Book
- Introduction to Programming Using Java
- Freewarejava Tutorials
- Thinking in Java, 3rd Edition (eBook)
- Java Beginner Tutorial
- Explanation to the is Java "pass by value" or "pass by reference" question
- Java for Complete Beginners
- accompanying site CaveOfProgramming
- MOOC Object Oriented Programming with Java from the University of Helsinki
- Derek Banas' Java Playlist
- accompanying site NewThinkTank
>Programming ideas & Challenges
- Programming Challenges List from the /r/learnprogramming wiki
- /r/Java - general discussion
- /r/JavaHelp - help with Java programming
- /r/javaexamples - short tutorials with code snippets
- /r/learnprogramming - general programming help