57,066 subscribers a community for 4 years, 11 monthslast post 165 days ago [+]
/r/lifeofnorman is a subreddit about writing small, fictional tales about a fictional character named Norman; a rather unremarkable fellow.
Hi everyone! Welcome to our humble subreddit about an even humbler man, Norman. Remember to be kind to one another- threats, trolling and abuse won't be tolerated. We're here to have fun and read some interesting stories about an uninteresting man.
Another thing to remember- this sub is not a hateful place, made to make fun of a lonely man. It's quite the opposite. It's more of a place to write stories about a person who is undeniably relate-able. We all have a bit of Norman in us, so make sure to treat others the way you would want to be treated, as well as not writing stories that have Norman simply as the butt of the joke. Negativity and bullying will not be tolerated- criticism is encouraged, but there's a difference between, "This story needs to be edited" and "Kill yourself".
Suggestion for stories
- Stories should be third person omniscient.
- Norman has a cat- who is also named Norman.
- Norman can do anything within the boundaries of space, time, gravity and physics.
- A story should have some connection to Norman, but he does not have to be the central character.
- Details of his life may be changed for the subject of the story. Continuity is not required.
- Otherwise, Norman is assumed to be bald, middle aged, and divorced. His wife left him for a younger man, and his son has moved away.
- Stories are suggested to be under 500 words.
- Past tense is preferred.
- The rules to stories are fairly light, but don't think that we will be cool with stories about Norman using buttplugs on his cat. The sub is fairly PG, it can go a bit darker, but not in a grotesque sense.
- Even though it's just text, animal cruelty, racism, and anything rape related isn't tolerated.
/r/benignexistence - A subreddit for your personal non-adventures
/r/LifeOfLisa - Norman's coworker Lisa lives her own equally mundane life. A subreddit spun off from a character created here.
Norman in Other Mediums(New!)
This is the official, and only, hub for Norman stories. Anything else is just plagiarizing the stories found here. Lookin' at you, Tumblr.