11,460 subscribers a community for 8 years, 1 monthlast post 1 day ago [+]
Discussion about everything North Korea, one of the most controversial and unusual places on Earth:
Join us to discuss its people, political and social issues, crises, controversies, power struggles, quirks, arts, diaspora and propaganda.
- North Korea related reading list. (Updated November, 2012)
- NK-related list of films and documentaries
- Why are North Korean human rights SO important? Please watch this 23 minute video of recent testimony before the UN Commission of Inquiry. (in Korean with English subtitles - Warning: its heartbreaking)
- As real people are suffering there, we suggest you take NK jokes elsewhere. If you ignore this, you'll get banned.
The following NGOs actively promote NK Human Rights:
- Citizens Alliance for North Korean Human Rights (NKHR)
- Network for North Korean Democracy and Human Rights (NKnet)
- NK Watch - Free the NK Gulag
- North Korea Strategy Center
- Database Center for North Korean Human Rights
- US Committee for Human Rights in North Korea
- Liberty in North Korea
- REACH DC (US-Japan NGO)
- NKinUSA (NK defectors living in the USA)
- NK Freedom Coalition
NK-Related Media Sources
- Rimjingang (Unique in that content is written by current North Korean citizen journalists at great personal risk.)
- New Focus International
- NK News
- Free NK
Additional link suggestions? message us!
Subreddit Rules: see discussion here
- well-written news articles, editorials, documentaries, links
- self-post discussions on North Korean topics and politics
- helpful resources (examples here)
- More, see discussion below
Discouraged and subject to removal:
- memes/advice-animals (try /r/bestkorea/)
- translation requests (try /r/translator)
- propaganda (discussion of propaganda okay)
- reposts of content less than two weeks old from /r/northkorea
- duplicative content about the same story that doesn't add value
- most but not all NK humor
- If you make a post and it doesn't show up, please message the moderators. It may have been flagged by Reddit's spam filters. We'll check the mod queue and if appropriate, approve it.
- Cite your sources and don't be afraid to ask others to do so too
- Keep anecdotal evidence and speculation to a minimum
- No personal attacks. They may lead to a ban. Differing opinions can be expressed without insulting anyone.
- Please don't chain-report stories. If you do have a problem with a story, write the submitter, perhaps they will change something that bugs you.
- Please email moderators if you see information which you know is wrong. Also any content which may endanger other people for any reason should be reported ASAP.
- All North Korean defectors and nationals are welcome to participate, openly or pseudonymously. All points of view are welcome, if they are civil.
- Rumors should be identified as rumors if they are known to be such.
- Links to or user generated content, photography esp. personal experiences which don't get covered elsewhere.
- Older news stories that have suddenly become relevant again.
- Links to essays on North Korean human rights, history, social, economic and military issues are welcome.
- Articles on Korean or Asian history that relates to North Korea are welcome.
- Announcements of talks, concerts, fund raising events, art exhibits, demonstrations, conferences, etc. are encouraged.