358,110 subscribers a community for 8 years, 11 monthslast post today [+]
New to woodworking? Welcome! Check out the Frequently Asked Questions which includes answers to common questions and links to other resources
RULES FOR POSTING
/r/woodworking is a forum that encourages the respectful exchange of woodworking knowledge and projects. Before hitting submit, check that your content doesn't violate the rules below:
- No overt self promotion or direct linking to items for sale - including crowdfunding sites. Ancillary links in comments aren't a big deal, just don't be submitting direct links to your Etsy shop.
- No reposting old/popular links with the intent of karma farming. Upon profile review, Karma Grabbers will be permanently banned for a single offense.
- Don't be rude. Add value or move along.
- No blog spam.
- No memes, image macros, reaction gifs, etc. This includes comments.
- No rehosted or "freebooted" content. Post the link to the content creators upload. Other posts will be removed.
Buy some /r/woodworking!
HALL OF FAME
2x4 challenge winner: /u/Danmeister33 - Wooden hand plane
Holiday Contest (small projects): /u/Salvador_Dalliant - Lincoln logs
Holiday Contest (Housewares): /u/grahamvinyl - Argyle and brick cutting boards
Holiday Contest (Wearable items): /u/p2p_editor - Wooden Barrettes
Something that holds something contest: /u/captianinsano - Jewelry box
Woodwhisperer contest runner up: /u/worldfirstanalrapist - chest of drawers
Woodwhisperer contest winner: /u/caddis789 - gadget/TV stand
Outdoor contest winner: /u/AngoraRabbits - for the birdhouse
Highland woodworking Shop Stuff Contest winner: /u/tatafornow - table saw/router table/storage
Handtool only contest winner: /u/ende76 - Coffee table
Plywood challenge: /u/PSU_STIG - Plywood coffee table
Tool Chest and Cabinet Challenge: /u/abnormal_human - Plane cabinet
Firewood Challenge /u/givemehelll - Turned bowl and lidded box
Transforming furniture Challenge - /u/NaCl_H2O- Federal Card Table
Haloween Challenge - /u/Jerome-Baldino- Gothic Pumpkin Candy Cabinet
/u/jakkarth explains how to buy wood in extreme detail, a useful primer for new folks.
/u/joelav gives the low down on different types of wood finishes.
/u/shazapple proper breadboard ends are important
/u/abnormal_human Lays out learning to dovetail by hand
/u/screwikea has some good info on the basics of hand planes
/u/ExpOriental wrote up a guide to measuring/layout tools